William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
The Madison VA Hospital is committed to providing high quality, compassionate and comprehensive health care to Women Veterans. The Women Veterans Program is designed to offer the respect, dignity, and privacy Women Veterans deserve while meeting their unique health care needs and delivering the highest quality health care to each woman. The Madison VA strongly encourages Women Veterans to utilize these benefits. We provide comprehensive primary care, gynecological care, specialty care, and integrated mental health care.
Madison VA programs include: Women Veterans Health Clinic, Perinatal Mental Health Clinic, Pelvic Floor Disorder Rehabilitation, and classes for weight management, Tai Chi, Smoking Cessation and Mindfulness Stress Reduction. If you have experienced Military Sexual Trauma, Casey Hoffman, LCSW, is your resource for information and counseling (608) 256-1901 ext 11857.
You can also receive women’s health care benefits at our Community Based Outpatient Clinics in Rockford, Beaver Dam, Janesville, Baraboo, and Freeport.
Take Care of Yourself: We encourage you to talk to your provider about the following preventive measures:
Mammogram, Pap Test, Blood pressure check, cholesterol check, Bone Density Test, Colorectal Screening, flu shot and other immunizations.
If you have any questions or would like to request additional information, the Women Veterans Program Manager is ready to assist you.
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA Medical Center nationwide to assist women Veterans and coordinate services. Women Veterans who are interested in receiving care at VA should contact the nearest VA Medical Center.
Women Veterans are assigned to a designated Women’s Health Primary Care Provider who can provide general primary care and is specially trained or experienced in women’s care.
Whole Health - It's All About You
VA’s Whole Health System offers women Veterans proactive and personalized health care—empowering you to achieve your greatest level of health and well-being. Whole Health means the Whole You. From integrative health approaches like stress reduction, nutrition, and health coaching, to traditional clinical care and complementary health approaches—your journey to Whole Health starts here.
Proactive, integrative health approaches such as:
- Health coaching
- Mind-body therapies and stress reduction
- Nutrition and weight management
- Peer support and community resources
- Programs to stop smoking
- Physical therapy and chiropractic services
You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). A provider, nurse, and others will engage with you to manage your health care.
- Primary care: includes general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: includes immunizations and cancer screenings, such as mammogram, Pap, and colonoscopy
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Maternity and newborn care (first 7 days after birth)
- Osteoporosis screening and management
Gynecology Health Services
Evaluation and treatment for:
- Abnormal Pap test
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
Evaluation, counseling, and treatment for:
- Depression, mood, and anxiety disorders
- Alcohol and drug use and addiction
- Coping with illness
- Intimate partner violence/sexual and domestic abuse
- Military sexual trauma (MST)
- Parenting and caregiver concerns
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress adjustment from deployment
- Management of chronic or complex conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and fibromyalgia, as well as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Surgery programs available at most Medical Centers
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy
VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy.