William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
Community Support Program and Homeless Program
The Community Support Program (CSP) is staffed by an interdisciplinary team of social workers, nurses, substance abuse specialists, and psychiatrists. Veterans treated within the CSP have a wide range of complex, interrelated needs including help managing medications, food, shelter, and clothing as well as engaging in vocational, social and recreational activities.
Many clientshave serious and complex medical problems in addition to psychiatric issues. A plan might include daily monitoring of medications, monitoring of health problems, assistance with finding and maintaining housing, finding and keeping a job, learning social and leisure skills, treatment of co-occurring substance abuse disorders, and learning coping skills for their mental illness. Using principals of recovery we strive to promote independence.
We maintain frequent, as often as twice a day, regular contact with the Veteran to assist with daily living skills and to monitor for symptoms. A leisure skills group, a peer led support group, and a peer led sobriety group are held weekly.
Except in rare cases a veteran must meet all of the following five criteria for admission:
- Diagnosis of Severe and Persistent Mental Illness - including, but not limited to schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, or severe post-traumatic stress disorder. Substance abuse or personality disorders must not be primary problem.
- Severe Functional Impairment - such that the veteran is currently incapable of successful and stable self-maintenance in a community living situation without intensive support.
- Inadequately Served - by conventional clinic-based treatment or day treatment.
- High Hospital Use - evidenced by over thirty days of psychiatric hospital care during the previous year or three or more episodes of psychiatric hospitalization during the previous year.
- Clinically Appropriate for CSP Approach — patients more appropriately served inpatient should remain inpatient.
345 West Washington Ave
Madison, WI 53705
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday