William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
Our program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association as meeting the national standards for diabetes self-management education. All Veterans and their families are invited to attend.
Diabetes Self-Management Class
This class is taught by Certified Diabetes Educators, and a Physical Therapist.
09:00 - 10:45 Diabetes Skills
11:10 - 12:10 Nutrition
12:10 - 12:25 Physical Activity
- Understanding diabetes.
- Self survival skills: testing your blood sugar, medications, low blood sugar, high blood sugar, sick day guidlines, and preventing complications.
- Nutrition: meal planning, carbohydrate counting, and reading food labels.
- Physical activity: safe exercise guidlines / Strengthening / Flexibilty program.
To schedule the class, please call: 608-280-7209
Diabetes Self-Management Follow-up Class
This class is taught by a Wellness Professional and Certified Diabetes Educators and is offered for those patients who have attended the first Diabetes Self-Management class.
- Changing your behavior, healthy coping, and goal setting.
- Diabetes and Stress management.
- Problem solving with diabetes.