William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
Patient and Family Education Resource Center (PERC)
Our Patient Education Resource Center is staffed by a Patient Health Education Coordinator, an LPN, and volunteers. Health educational materials are available upon request during the Center's posted hours.
The Patient Education Resource Center is located on the 1st floor A-Wing, room A1005. The hours are from 8:00-4:00pm Monday thru Friday.
We’d love to hear what you think.
Email us your comments.
- MYHEALTHeVET Access and Assistance: The PERC has two computer kiosks designated for the MyHealtheVet network, and has volunteers available daily to assist patients in accessing this system to retrieve health information and refill medications.
- Outpatient Nurse Educator: The outpatient nurse educator is available daily Monday through Friday 8:00- 4:00pm to distribute blood pressure cuffs, glucometers and TED stockings. She also teaches patients about home monitoring and provides record sheets or logs.
- Self Guided Learning Resource Center: This resource room has samples of several health magazine subscriptions, general health information books, calorie counting guides, and healthy cookbooks so patients or family members can preview resources they may be interested in purchasing, or read/gather information to assist them in making healthy lifestyle choices. Recipe cards are available to copy recipes to try at home. We also have a collection of videos on common medical diagnosis which can be viewed in our video room.
Clinical staff provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Courses focus on —
- health promotion
- upcoming tests and procedures
Staff can tell you about upcoming education classes that are available.
Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients —
- continually receive updated health information
- are able to ask questions about their health
- can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility