William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
The Time is NOW!
The Madison VA continues to support the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout by encouraging Veterans and VA employees to quit tobacco for a full 24 hours…or for life! On Thursday, November 15th, join thousands of tobacco users as they choose that the “Time is Now” to quit.
Why is NOW such a good time to quit? Because it’s never too late to quit! Quitting tobacco provides almost immediate as well as long term benefits.
- Within 20 minutes: heart rate and blood pressure decreases
- Within 12 hours: carbon monoxide level in the blood goes down to normal
- After several months: coughing and shortness of breath decrease
- After 1 year: risk of coronary heart disease is HALF that of an active smoker
- After 5 years: risk of mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder cancer is cut in HALF
Are you feeling discouraged and don’t feel like you can quit? Consider this: Over 3 million Americans are successful in quitting each year. At any given time, 70% of all smokers will say that they want to quit. And more than ever, there are numerous effective treatment options to help support any tobacco user in his or her attempt to quit using tobacco for good. The Madison VA is here to help!
The Madison VA has several options to help both Veterans and VA employees quit tobacco. There is no cost for coaching, and medications are offered at the cost of a standard copayment, if applicable.
- Individual Phone Appointments:
- Available for Veterans and employees
- Morning, afternoon, and evening calls are available
- Madison Walk-in Group:
- Every Tuesday at 11:00 AM in Building 7
- No appointment needed! Just stop in!
- Telephone Call-in Group:
- Every Tuesday at 11:00 AM
- Dial 1-800-767-1750, Code 33071#
- Community Based Outreach Clinic (CBOC) Group:
- Every Wednesday at 3:30 PM.
- Held at your closest VA clinic: Baraboo, Beaver Dam, Freeport, Rockford and Janesville
For more information please call: (608) 280-2246 or visit our website at: http://www.madison.va.gov/services/Tobacco-Cessation.asp