William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
Emergency Nursing Day Oct 12
The Madison VA Emergency Department is rapidly changing to provide the growing number of Veterans the highest quality of care possible. In fact, it was recently recognized nationally and awarded with a system redesign award for changes implemented that greatly decreased the amount of time that patients wait in the waiting room. Other changes made in the past year include putting the ‘Fast Track’ into action. This helps Veterans that are being seen for such symptoms as cough, ear ache, rash, or minor aches and pains seen and treated more quickly.
Did you know?
- The VA Emergency Department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to serve those who have served us
- This small, 10 room Emergency Department is 'Charged with Caring' for about 1,150 veterans a month
- Emergency Department staff care for approximately 15,000 Veterans a year
- On average, they treat 38 Veterans per day
- The average time spent in the Emergency Department is about 2 hours and 19 minutes.
- As a result of our new “Front End” process improvement, it will usually take less than 5 minutes from when you come to the ED to the time you are taken back to a room. This improvement won a National Innovation Award. We hope that you have found it easier to get through the process of Registration and Triage if it has been necessary for you to pay us a visit.
We have Emergency Department Nurses who are certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Trauma Care and several who have achieved the status of Certified Emergency Nurses. Our goal is to take care of Veterans that are experiencing Emergent or Urgent problems that need immediate attention with efficiency, compassion and highly skilled care. We will continue to strive to improve our service to you and thank you for your service to our Country and us.