William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital
New clinic for Baraboo
Madison VA Hospital director Judy McKee led a ceremony June 20 to break ground for a new community-based outpatient clinic in Baraboo. The clinic will be significantly expanded in size from the community’s current outpatient clinic and will move to a new and more accessible location.
The clinic is expected to be completed in the late fall of 2012 and will open later in the year. To prevent disruption in the services Baraboo-area Veterans are currently receiving, the clinic at the present location will continue operating until the new clinic opens.
The Madison VA Hospital first established a clinic in Baraboo in 1999. The clinic has a staff of seven full-time and three part-time employees in its 2,683 square foot facility at 626 14th St. near St. Clare Hospital. The clinic will move about 2.3 miles to the 1400 block of South Boulevard on Baraboo’s southwest side at Commerce Avenue. It will be larger than the present facility, with a total of about 4,800 square feet.
The number of Veterans served at the Baraboo clinic has grown steadily over the past 12 years. During the past four years alone, the number of Veterans treated at the clinic has grown from 1,155 to 1,512—an increase of more than 30 percent.
The new clinic will provide the same primary care and mental health services currently available to Veterans at the present clinic location, and will offer expanded Telehealth services.
The lease for the new clinic was awarded earlier in June to Stand Rock Properties LLC, Waunakee, Wis., and construction is already underway.